Sunday 15 October 2017

Lockhart's Water Based Hair Pomade review


We've got another product from the Lockhart's Professional lineup today for a review. Previously I reviewed the Matte Clay. This time we're gonna look at their water-based product; Lockhart's Water Based Hair Pomade. It's neither an orthodox nor is it an unorthodox water-based pomade. It's what they call a paradox water-based pomade. Let's just get into it and see what that means.



Packaging


Lockhart's Water Based comes in a 3.7 oz amber plastic tub, similar to the other products from their Professional line. Label on the top is black with a metallic finish on the text. Upon first glance, you might mistake it for their heavy hold pomade from the Authentic line. Label on the side features ingredients as well as statistics to what the product can do. I've said this before on how the packaging looks very salon-grade and I think it looks good.




Scent

The scent is the same as the Matte Clay's which is lavender, earthy moss and musk. I've mentioned previously how I didn't really like the scent, but it doesn't smell as bad to me here because it's much more subtle in the jar and especially once it's in your hair. It really stays out of the way and I like that about it.




 


Application

The product scoops out like a goopy gel. It's not as firm or jelly-like compared to most gel-type pomades. Breaks down really easily, feeling slightly sticky in your hands. Goes into the hair just the same without much tugging or pulling. Unlike other gel-pomades, I find minimal discomfort applying this pomade so I don't really need to apply into damp hair.



Slickness

Combing through the product in your hair is effortless. It glides through with no issue. The pomade has just enough stickiness to keep strays in place, although my cowlick still fights every now and then.



Control

I find that initial styling with this product can be a bit tricky. Before the product sets in, I feel that it bears minimal hold and I personally have trouble trying to achieve my usual hairstyle. Once the pomade settles in my hair in a cooler environment, it's much easier to style with. The product also doesn't harden up at all, so there's plenty of pliability to work with it all day long.



Strength

Described to be a medium to firm, but it mostly feels like a light medium to me. Especially in warmer temperatures, I find myself styling a small bump at best. It definitely provides better hold in cooler climates.



Shine

Starts off with a medium shine, but it dulls down slightly to a low shine towards the end of the day.


 


Durability

How the pomade holds up in your hair really depends on the climate that you're in. On warmer days, expect plenty of restyling throughout the day. On cooler days, the product will fair much better and provide better hold as well. Even though strength is not it's strong suit, I can appreciate the fact that I'm still able to restyle it throughout the day and not have it all crusty in my hair.

Washability

Just like majority of other gel pomades, rinsing it once is pretty much all you need. It contains cucumber fruit extract which is supposed to nourish your hair with vitamins and minerals. After washing the product out, I personally don't feel like my hair's been blatantly conditioned but it also doesn't feel dry and lifeless.

Price-point

If purchased directly from the Lockhart's online store, the product costs $54.53 SGD ($39.90 USD) including shipping. I see it being sold locally for an average of $28 SGD ($20.62 USD). A much cheaper price provided you live nowhere near the US.


Verdict

Going into Lockhart's Water Based, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. This is a lab-cooked product and seeing how it's mostly similar to gel pomades, I was honestly expecting it to be one. I've to say however, I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

To start with, the application process with this product is so much smoother compared to other gel-types. It's not overly tacky which greatly reduces tug and pull. The pomade also has much better slickness to help keep strays in check, even throughout the day. Most importantly and I can't stress this enough, it does not harden up into a helmet in your hair. As much as I know that it's not exactly a revolution when it comes to water-based pomades with UWB products being widely available, but it's still not a trait commonly seen with gel-types. It comes to no surprise that my main drawback with this pomade would be regarding the hold, but it's something I can easily look past.

At the end of the day, Lockhart's Water Based is a step in the right direction. It's a great product for low-profile hairstyles and works great on top of buildup when you're trying to degrease. I know that the folks from Lockhart's have been working on their water-based Goon Grease for ages but if it's a better holding version of this, it'll be highly worth the wait. Either way, Lockhart's Water Based Hair Pomade is a great product and is definitely worth checking out.

Click here to visit Lockhart's Authentic on their online store

No comments:

Post a Comment