Sunday 8 October 2017

Jadioc The Preppy review


I previously mentioned Jadioc sending me their line of rebranded products. We've had a look at one of their gel pomades, but today we're gonna shine the spotlight on their clay product. This is Jadioc's The Preppy.



Packaging


The Preppy comes in a 5.3 oz black plastic tub that comes packaged in the same windowed box as the other Jadioc products. The label on the front features a dapper gentleman as well as the company's logo. Side label features a familiar ingredients list and directions. A fairly simple packaging design that works well.




Scent

The Preppy is also stated to have a perfume scent, however it's different than Black Jacket's. I've to admit, I quite like the smell on this. It still smells like a cheap cologne, but it's not as off-putting to me as compared to Black Jacket's scent.




 


Application

This clay scoops out really easy. Requires little to no pressure to get a finger's worth. It breaks down just as easy, feeling slightly tacky but not gritty. Applies into the hair with some tug and pull, but it's easily relieved by applying into damp hair.



Texture

You can get a fair amount of texture with this product. Especially once the product sets in a little, it'll be easier to attain a loose and textured hairstyle.



Control

Styling with this clay is not the most mind blowing experience, but it gets the job done decently. There's not really much hassle and it's easy to get height and volume with it. The product, being dryer, lacks the ability to fully control certain strays and my stubborn cowlick.



Strength

You do get a fairly strong hold especially once the product sets in your hair. It also feels lightweight in your hair, but rather flimsy and unstable as well.



Shine

Might start off with a low to matte shine, but it gets completely matte after a while. Just as advertised.


 


Durability

It holds up and retains it's style well enough for the most part, but what's next is where I have a major issue with The Preppy. It does not restyle well. The main reason why I would choose to use a clay is to have a looser hairstyle that can be easily restyled with my fingers throughout the day. This clay however, isn't able to do a good job at that. After several hours not only do I find that the product firms up quite a bit, but any attempt at restyling or combing it feels as if you're dry-combing while using a gel pomade. The clay feels overly dry and restyling it just creates more strays and loses the structure of the initial hairstyle. It lacks the flexibility of other clays that I've tried and that is a huge drawback in my opinion.

Washability

Washing out the product will require just one rinse. If your hair feels slightly dryer after washing it out, follow up with a conditioner and you'll be as right as rain.

Price-point

Just like Black Jacket, I see resellers sell The Preppy at an average price of $18 SGD ($13.24 USD). A pretty fair price for the quantity.


Verdict

If you read or watched my review on Black Jacket, you'd know that I said it was a rather average gel-pomade. Even though I wasn't impressed by it, it still worked well enough for me to see it's functionality. I however have to say that I don't feel the same way about The Preppy.

There is no better way to say it, but this is not a great clay product. It lacks the ease of restylability that most clays have and I do not like it. If anything, I personally feel that this is a gel pomade trying to act like a clay. Sure, you could argue the fact that if it firms up in place, why would you even need to restyle? Well like I mentioned earlier, if I were to use a clay for the day it's because I want to be able to easily run my fingers through my hair. If a clay in particular cannot do that for me, then there's so many other products that I would pick over it.

So long story short, is Jadioc's The Preppy a bad clay product? To me, yes. Can it still be a good product for others? I'd still say so, but for a rather specific target audience. If you're looking to use a clay product for that matte finish where you can just set and forget, this might work. If you're like me and do not want your clay products to get firm in your hair, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

Click here to visit Jadioc on their Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment