Sunday 6 November 2016

Pomps Not Dead Pay To Comb Hair Pomade review




When I started getting into the world of pomades, one brewer I always hear people talk about is Pomps Not Dead. Despite the hype behind it, I always seemed to look past their products whenever I'm making a pomade purchase. That is until I realised majority of their products are influenced by Punk Rock bands and skate culture. I know, "But you're the Heavy Metal Pomp, not the Punk Rock Pomp". Well I dig that shit too. With pomades inspired by Descendents, Minor Threat, Shai Hulud and many more, what's not to love? When they dropped news of releasing a Bad Brains inspired pomade where all the funds went to H.R.'s recent operation, I didn't think twice anymore and made my purchase.



Packaging


The Pomps Not Dead Pay To Comb comes in a 4 oz metal tin. The label design is an homage to Bad Brains' self-titled album from 1982 and it looks absolutely brilliant. Simple and straight to the point.




Scent

The scent on the pomade is bay rum and patchouli. I don't know what bay rum smells like, and I don't really know what patchouli smells like either to be frank. The combination of the two however, is outstanding. This is easily one of my favourite pomade scents. It has a really clean and organic aroma. Somehow reminds me of a Lush outlet.



 


Application

Scooping out the pomade is unbelievably easy. Even the top layer scoops out with no trouble at all. Breaking it down is really smooth and creamy with a nice waxy grip to it. Going into your hair does tug slightly, but what do you expect from a firm hold? Working with this stuff is a breeze overall.



Slickness

The product is more waxy so you'll feel some slight resistance when combing it through your hair, but it's nothing painful. 



Control

Styling with the pomade is really easy. If you're used to working with medium hold oil based pomades, then this won't feel much different than that. My sides were able to be slicked down nice and tight and I can still obtain nice volume and height with it.



Strength

Falls in between medium and firm for me. You don't get brute strength with this product, but you really don't need it. What you get from this pomade is sufficient to get a nice pomp going.



Shine

It has a medium to low shine. Expected from a more dryer and waxy product.


 


Durability

I love how this pomade gets throughout the day. It gets a bit dry ever so slightly so I can get a low-maintenance messy pomp going as the hours pass. Under heat, you do lose some strength so it becomes slightly more like a medium hold. The scent remains just as strong which is a quality I absolutely adore about the pomade. 

Washability

This stuff is pretty waxy and leaves a nice clean buildup. 3-4 shampoo rinses should get it all out.

Price-point

Pomps Not Dead is another brand that's pretty hard to find here in Singapore. I bought it on their Etsy store for approximately $37 SGD ($26.70 USD) I think. Slightly more pricey than most pomades, but for a limited edition product where the proceeds go to a good cause it's definitely worth it.


Verdict

I went into this with high expectations and those expectations were blown out of the water. This pomade is phenomenal. Not only does the branding appeal to me personally, but the product performs outstandingly. The scent is now one of my favourite scents. It's without a doubt that I will go purchase more PND pomades in the near future. The only bad thing that I can say about Pay To Comb is that it's limited edition and you can't get it from them anymore. So if there's a lesson you could take away from my experience, it's this: If Pomps Not Dead releases another product, be it limited edition or not, just go get it.

Click here to visit Pomps Not Dead on their Etsy page

No comments:

Post a Comment