Wednesday 16 May 2018

Lockhart's Anti-Gravity Matte Paste review


The Lockhart's have been releasing product after product over the past month. I recently purchased one of them and figured I'd bring you guys a review of it. Today we have their Anti-Gravity Matte Paste; a water-based matte paste featuring a firm yet weightless hold. Even though advertised as a matte paste, the product itself is an odd hybrid of a clay, paste, fiber, cream of sorts. With that said, let's jump into the review and see what we've got.



Packaging


Anti-Gravity comes in their familiar 3.7 oz amber plastic jar that you get with the other Lockhart's Professional series. Comes with a black label on the lid with a nice, shimmery silver gradient over the text. You also get a basic rundown of the product, ingredients and directions displayed around the side of the jar. Not only does the overall packaging look consistent with all the other Lockhart's products, but also just really nice on it's own.




Scent

Called Fortuna (no, not the dude in Jabba's palace), it is a special scent blend that they came up with. It smells like a fresh, clean cologne with some light citrusy notes. I find it to be really pleasant myself. It's also a very subtle and inoffensive scent that is barely noticeable after the first few hours.




 


Application

The consistency of the product is slightly odd, feeling really creamy and slimy at the same time. Hardly any effort is needed to get a nice scoop and breaking it down feels creamy but starts getting thicker and more grippy. Goes into the hair with some tug and pull if applied into completely dry hair. I'd highly suggest you to apply in damp hair, but I'll get more into that later on.



Texture

As a matte paste should, it can provide nice texture on a finer level. You can also get away with coarser, looser textures if you use less product.




Control

As the name suggests, you can expect maximum volume with this product. I find that my hair goes where I want it to for the most part and even though it's a dry product, I don't face as much strays as I'd expect.


Strength

Even though it's advertised to provide a firm hold, I don't think that's too accurate. I usually find it providing about a medium hold at best. I can achieve good volume, but the hold doesn't do that well of a job holding it in place for too long.


Shine

A truly matte finish. No shine at all.

 


Durability

I find that it's able to retain most of it's volume throughout the day with little to no issue. The hold, once again, not the best so there's definitely a lot of finger combing and touch ups involved as hours pass. I do find a few stragglers towards the end of the day with some strays popping up in a few areas.

Washability

The product rinses out with just water. No shampoo required. The ingredients in the product also assist in providing some healthy hair benefits so it leaves the hair feeling nice and clean.

Price-point

If purchased directly, Anti-Gravity will cost you a whopping $53.83 SGD ($40.40 USD). An absurd price courtesy of international shipping prices but if you're pressed on getting a jar, I've seen it sold locally for an average price of $30 SGD ($22.51 USD).

Verdict

According to Steve, Anti-Gravity has been in the making for about 2 years. Seeing how it's a Lockhart's product and the pomade community has seen testers of it come and go over the past couple years, there's definitely some hype behind this product.

When used as a standalone product, I find that Anti-Gravity is pretty average at best. However, that's not the intended use for this matte paste. As specified by the brewer, it is highly recommended to use this as a pre-styler in damp hair and blowdried thoroughly. With that method, I find myself being able to achieve a more durable hairstyle as it sets a nice foundation to work with. From there, the options to finish off the hairstyle are pretty much limitless. You can either finish it off with a bit more Anti-Gravity or use literally any other product you can think of. Within the other products you can get from Lockhart's, I've tried post-styling it with the Matte Clay, Goon Grease and also their Water-Based pomade. The Matte Clay gave it nice texture and hold, Goon Grease provided that greasy slickness while still retaining volume and the Water-Based added some clean slickness while still staying water-soluble.

So do I think you should get Anti-Gravity? I think it all boils down to whether you use pre-stylers to begin with. If you can't be bothered to blowdry your hair with this, the results won't be as great. Even I personally don't reach out for this too often myself but when I do, I find that it can really assist in providing a nice overall end result. If unlimited volume is your game, definitely get yourself a jar of Anti-Gravity.

Click here to visit Lockhart's Authentic on their online store

No comments:

Post a Comment