Monday 20 February 2017

Pomps Not Dead Lardage Pomade review


I recently went window shopping over at Pomade Club and started ogling at the Pomps Not Dead pomades they had in stock. PND has always been a brand and brewer I've been highly fond of due to the hardcore punk nature of their products. It's also a brand that's not as readily accessible here so, I finally decided it was time for me to get a proper Pomps Not Dead mail call. Here's Lardage and all it's glory.



Packaging


Lardage comes in a silver 4 oz tin with a black label just on the lid. I've seen photos and videos of it coming it black tins, but it's just a minor irrelevant difference. The design choice on the label might seem familiar to you, and that's because it's a spoof of Reuzel's tin designs and I think that's really funny. I do however would've liked to see additional labelling with information like ingredients and such on the tin.




Scent

Lardage was brewed because fans of Bacon Grease loved the scent it had but wanted something with more hold. Therefore Lardage has that same smoky vanilla scent that it's light hold brother has. I know people say it's supposed to smell like bacon but being a muslim, I've never had bacon. It does smell absolutely amazing and in fact, I think it smells like remarkably similar to Cap'n Crunch.




 


Application

This is a firm hold pomade, but it scoops out so much easier than you'd think a firm would. I barely need to apply pressure and I still get a nice finger-scoop's worth. Breaking it down and applying into your hair is just as easy with minimal resistance.



Slickness

I find that the consistency of Lardage is a little odd compared to other pomades I've used. It's a really sticky pomade which sounds weird, but actually works really well for me. The amount of grease and wax is just enough for me to work with, but the stickiness really helps to keep my hair together and hold down my stubborn hairs.



Control

The control you get with this pomade is amazing. I'm able to get a nice round pomp with it really easily and height is not an issue either.



Strength

Not overly waxy, but definitely enough to get nice height. The product retained it's strength throughout the day and it had no issue holding up my pomp.



Shine

Gives off a neutral or natural shine.


 


Durability

The pomade held up in the heat well. I didn't feel like it was melting or losing strength as hours pass. It stayed in place throughout the day and I barely had to fix it much. I was also able to restyle it if needed without issues. The scent dulls down ever so slightly when it's in your hair, but it stayed like that till the end of the day. This stuff has killer endurance.

Washability

3-4 showers with shampoo. Rinsing it with just water will get a good amount of greasiness out and leave a nice clean buildup for you to work with though.

Price-point

You can't get this locally nor is Edwin even selling it on his Etsy store at the moment. I got this on Pomade Club for $22.56 SGD ($16 USD) before shipping. With shipping will probably rack it up to $30+ but seeing at how hard it is to find Lardage, totally worth it.


Verdict

This is the second PND pomade that I've ever used. As I've countlessly mentioned, I absolutely love the hardcore punk inspired design choices that they integrate with their products. But it's not just the aesthetic that I'm drawn to. The pomades in it's own essence, are outstanding. I feel that Lardage is a good indicator to what a firm hold truly performs like. It applies and styles like a medium, but has that strength and endurance of a heavy. And that scent, don't even get me started. My only problem with PND is that as a Singaporean, their products are pretty hard to obtain. Aside from Edwin's Etsy store, the number of reliable stores that stock their pomades are fairly limited. As of now, Pomade Club and buying directly from Edwin are your best choices to get yourself a PND pomade. And if you're a first timer, why not get Lardage?

Click here to buy Pomps Not Dead Lardage on Pomade Club

No comments:

Post a Comment