Thursday 9 February 2017

Lockhart's Medium Hold Pomade review


In my Shear Revival Elm Street review, I mentioned that I bought three other pomades thanks to Black Friday sales. Those three pomades are all Lockhart's pomades with the 'any scent, any hold' promotion. If you can't already guess what that's about, basically you pick any of the Lockhart's pomades and pick out any scent that they have listed. Last year I bought a Heavy Hold in peppermint so I figured I'd go all out this time around. Today, I'll be talking about their Medium Hold pomade.



Packaging


Lockhart's Medium Hold pomade comes in a stunningly gorgeous gold 4 oz tin with burgundy labels. While the design choice is constant throughout all the other Lockhart's Authentic line, the colour combination for the medium just gives it this elegant and classic feel. I should also mention that when I first opened up the three tins, all of them were literally filled to the brim. Really speaks volumes about the brewer and how much they value their customers.




Scent

The official scent for the medium is sandalwood and vetiver. While I may not know what vetiver smells like, I'm not a big fan of pomades with sandalwood scents which is why I bought mine with a custom scent. I chose the barbershop scent for my medium and I have absolutely no regrets on that choice. It smells absolutely divine and is now one of my favourite scents on a pomade. Has notes of talc and bay rum and it just gives off a very old school vibe.




 


Application

Scooping out the pomade is fairly easy. The top layer has a little bit of resistance but everything below just scoops out like a dream. breaking down the product is just as easy and you'll start to feel the wax coming through. Applying into your hair is reasonably easy with some very slight tugging and pulling.



Slickness

I personally feel that Lockhart's Medium is more of a waxy medium than a greasy one, but it still has enough slickness to keep things together and out of the way. Not overly sticky, but just enough to style with.



Control

You get excellent control with this pomade. It has just enough waxiness to give you that hold. Paired with the slickness the product has, you can get a really good pomp going. Great height, amazing shape, simply remarkable.



Strength

As mentioned, this is a fairly waxy medium. The height I get while using it is just enough without going extreme. It give me great volume and holds up throughout the day.



Shine

Has a medium to low shine. Just enough if you ask me.


 


Durability

I've used the medium on hot days and windy days. Of course it doesn't stay in place, it is an oil based pomade after all. But the fact that I can restyle it over and over again and still get my hair to look how I want it to is amazing. The product still retains enough hold and control for me to restyle with, and that's all I need really.

Washability

As per usual, 2-3 showers with shampoo will get it out of your mop.

Price-point

I can't remember how much I paid for all three pomades that I ordered, but I think they all came down to about $30 SGD ($21.26 USD) each. Pricey, yes. But you have to consider the fact that this has a custom scent. That, and international shipping is a bitch. You can get it from the Lockhart's online store for $19.26 SGD ($13.65 USD) before shipping or from The Panic Room for $24 SGD ($17 USD) if you're local.


Verdict

I've only used a couple of medium hold pomades prior to this one. I've found those to be more greasy than waxy which isn't bad, but it just isn't enough for me personally to style with. That's why I've always gravitated towards heavy holds. So to find a medium hold with great balance between those two qualities, let's just say I've found a current favourite. Lockhart's Medium not only has amazing control and restyling capabilities, it also has the right amount of hold to go along with it. I've had some very awesome hair days while using this pomade. To top it off, that barbershop scent just keeps making me come back for more. I wish this was the default scent for the medium so I don't have to wait at the end of every year to get this. Is this a new go-to pomade for me? No. But it is a damn close second. If you're in the market for a good medium hold pomade, you've found it.

Click here to visit Lockhart's on their online store

No comments:

Post a Comment