Sunday 4 December 2016

Shear Revival Elm Street Pomade review


With Black Friday happening last week, I went online looking for good deals on pomades. After browsing through what The Panic Room had to offer for the holiday, I saw them selling Shear Revival's Elm Street at 50% off. The deal was a no brainer. Shear Revival has been getting a huge following, especially since they released Crystal Lake, so I knew I had to give the brand a go for myself. The pomade arrived at my doorstep within the next day (kudos on the killer service by TPR) and I didn't wait much longer on giving the product a trial run.



Packaging


Elm Street comes in a 4 oz amber glass jar with a black metal lid. The label is printed on a vinyl sticker and I must say, I absolutely adore the minimalist design. I should also note that Shear Revival has gone through a reformulation and repackaging on their products. Upon doing some online research, I found out that the old Elm Street came in a blue glass jar with a white lid. In case you're wondering how to spot the difference, now you know.




Scent

Described as citrus and amber. I've heard a few people say it smells like baby powder, but I honestly don't get that. It smells like sandalwood to me. Reminds me of Big Slick's Super Heavy or Lockhart's sandalwood Goon Grease, but a softer rendition of that. I'm normally not a fan of sandalwood scents on pomades, but the mildness on this one is pleasing for me.



 


Application

The top layer has a slight waxiness to it. Emphasis on slight. Everything below that scoops out and breaks down like pure butter. Ridiculously smooth and creamy, and goes into your hair like nothing.



Slickness

This pomade is really greasy.  Easily the greasiest stuff I own currently. Combs through like nothing. No resistance whatsoever, which is expected from a light hold.



Control

Despite the product being a light hold, you can get really great control from it. Styles and performs magnificently and I can get great height. Doesn't last too long for the most part, but it still exceeded my expectations.



Strength

As mentioned, it is a light hold and I truly do believe that it is. But I have gotten good strength out of the pomade. On good days, not only do I get height from it but the endurance isn't to be underestimated either.



Shine

Really shiny stuff. Definitely for all you shine lovers.


 


Durability

I honestly wasn't expecting much from an oil based light hold. And truth be told, there are days where I use the pomade and my hair will just end up flopping over by the end of work. But there are moments where Elm Street has surpassed my expectations. As you can see in the photos I took using the pomade, you can get some serious height out of it (photos were taken approximately 11 hours after applying the product).

Washability

As per usual from an oil based pomade, it'd take 2-3 showers with shampoo to clear everything. With ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil in the product, it leaves your hair feeling really nice and nourished.

Price-point

Bought this during Black Friday and it cost me $12 SGD ($8.43 USD). The full retail price on TPR's webstore is $24 SGD and $15 USD on Shear Revival's official site (shipping not included).


Verdict

As mentioned in previous reviews and blog posts, I have slowly been making myself familiar towards using lighter holding pomades for the past few months. Over the two years that I've been using pomades, I've always had this impression that only heavy holds could tame my stubborn hair. Shear Revival's Elm Street has officially changed my perspective on things. This product is proof that light holds, when done right, can perform just as well as mediums and heavies. Elm Street has just enough hold while being light in terms of weight for you to get great pompadours. It retains your hair's natural waves and tames it just enough for you to style with. While I admit, light holds still don't slick down my sides and cowlick too well but the overall performance is still outstanding enough for me to reconsider the qualities I look at when buying pomades. This product works well as a topper, added on buildup and even as a standalone. If you're not a light pomade user and is open to reconsideration, Shear Revival's Elm Street is the one for you.

Click here to buy Shear Revival's Elm Street on their online store

No comments:

Post a Comment