Saturday 10 December 2016

Star Wars Dark Force Wax review


So as some of you may know, I was in Perth a couple of months back (if you didn't, you can watch that video here). While shopping at Coles, I stumbled upon a few Star Wars hair products. Being a Darth Vader fan, I naturally picked up the Dark Force Wax. I didn't know what brand it was or how good it may or may not be. All I knew was, the tin looked really cool. And with Rogue One releasing this coming week, I figured this is the perfect time to review the product.



Packaging


The Dark Force Wax comes in a 75gm metal tin. The lid is embossed with Vader's helmet and plastered with Star Wars-related terms. Looks like something you'd see on a t-shirt and I think it looks pretty nice. The other products in the line has the same design ideology which makes it consistent. Having a collector's mindset, I had to restrain myself not to get them all.





Scent

It smells like most generic hair products you'd find. It has that chemical / salon scent. Not exactly pleasing for me personally, but it's not terrible either.



 


Application

It's really thick and definitely does require a little elbow grease to scoop it out, but I've had more trouble getting out other waxy pomades. Breaking it down is really grippy and waxy (obviously) so I'd recommend going with small scoops at a time. Applying in your hair definitely tugs and pulls. You might wanna try doing that with damp hair.



Slickness

Being a wax, I wasn't expecting it to be slick at all but I was proven wrong. Has just enough slickness for you to run a comb through your hair, but not so much to where it feels greasy.



Control

You can get a fair amount of control from this product. It tames my mane pretty decently and does a fair job of keeping those fly-aways in place. It doesn't harden up in your hair so restyling is not a problem. I can easily run my fingers through my hair to get a nice textured hairdo.



Strength

Truth be told, I was expecting a little more strength from the Dark Force Wax. I do find my hair sagging quite a bit at times. It's more of a medium hold. However when used as buildup, I feel that's where the product truly shines. I get great height and volume when I use this on consecutive days, and I've even paired it with light hold pomades and they work excellently together.



Shine

Has a matte / natural shine.


 


Durability

It definitely holds up in the heat well. It doesn't melt or soften up, but restyling is required for the most part. I should also mention that restyling doesn't feel discomforting and running my fingers through my hair while using this wax doesn't leave my fingers feeling odd and sticky.

Washability

It's not water-soluble and the wax is pretty tough to wash out. Would take 2-3 showers to wash everything out.

Price-point

If memory serves me right, I bought this for $9 AUD ($6.71 USD). Not the cheapest wax out in the market, but I don't think it's overpriced either. A tub of Gatsby would cost me about the same price so I think it's reasonable.


Verdict

I went into the Dark Force Wax with relatively mediocre expectations, and those expectations were pretty much met. It's a fairly basic wax and I don't see it to be such an extraordinary product when put next to other mass-marketed hair products. The price range is about the same and overall, I don't see much unique qualities about it. Here's the bad part about the product. I tried looking it up online and I'm pretty certain it's exclusive to Australia only. I couldn't find an online store that sells these Star Wars hair products aside from Cole's online store (which doesn't give much information about the product either). I know you're probably hating on me for reviewing a product you can't get your hands on, but I just thought it'd be cool to do something related to the release of Rogue One this upcoming week. If you're looking for a good wax, this definitely isn't it. I would easily classify this as a novelty hair product that caters to fans of the franchise. I see this as more of a collector's item rather than a hair product you'd actually want to use. I'm not saying it's a bad wax, all I'm saying is that you can easily find other better products. But if you're a Star Wars fan (in Australia) and you don't need anything fancy to style your hair, this would work fairly great for you.

2 comments:

  1. u put so much effort
    good work
    keep it up
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I just read your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Keep update with your blogs..
    Hydro dermabrasion facial perth

    ReplyDelete