Thursday 10 August 2017

Ziggy Supply Singa Pomade review


Here at Heavy Metal Pomp, I'm usually reviewing products from either the United States or Malaysia. Being from Singapore, most local pomade brands usually sell factory made gel-type water-based pomades. Ziggy Supply (previously known as GetZgy.SG) used to be one of those brands. Used to. Today, I'm proud to present to you one of their first homebrewed products; Singa Pomade. Initially an unorthodox water-based pomade, this new formula is now a water-based clay pomade. Without further ado, let us dive in deeper.



Packaging


Singa Pomade comes in a 3.5 oz plastic tub. The lid features the same lion graphic seen on Lion City Pomade with information clearly stated all around the tub. The packaging is really simple and straight to the point.




Scent

Described by Matin as a sweet citrus scent. To be honest, I don't really get that zesty kick you usually get with most citrus scents. It's a more smooth yet clean scent, and it is an amazing smell. It's a fairly strong one as well and I enjoy it a lot.




 


Application

With stronger holding clays, you normally expect a tougher application process. Not with this clay though. It scoops out even easier than most pomades do. Requires little to no pressure. Breaking it down is just as easy, and you'll start to feel some graininess and grip to it. Goes into your hair feeling fairly smooth with some slight tug and pull.


Texture

It may have a creamier feel to it, but this clay can definitely provide some good texture despite that. It balances being clean and textured really well and you can go both ways depending on what you want. You can run both a comb or your fingers through you hair with this product. I call that a win-win situation.



Control

Styling with this clay is fairly intuitive. My hair does a pretty good job going where I want it to and it doesn't really fight back. I do find that it doesn't hold down my sides as well as I'd prefer, but it still keeps the hair in place well enough for me not to bother.



Strength

Described as a strong hold by Matin. I do think it bears a good amount of hold. I can get good height and volume with this clay and have it stay relatively in place for most of the day. I also notice that the hold feels a bit soft once I start sweating up a storm, but my hair was able to be pushed back in place without much issues.



Shine

Definitely a matte finish.

 


Durability

When it comes to durability with clays, I expect them to have a certain amount of restylability rather than being able to stay perfectly still in your hair and not budge. I feel that Singapomade walks the line between the two really well. I hardly find the need to restyle much throughout the day and even if I need to, it's really easy to do so. It doesn't feel too thick and gritty in my hair which is something I hate with most clays. Despite it's lightweight nature, it's still able to retain a good amount of hold and volume to last most of the day.

Washability

Although it's a water-based clay, rinsing would only get most of the product out. You'd need to shampoo your hair to fully clean it out, but one wash is all you'd need.

Price-point

Singa Pomade retails for $20 SGD ($14.70 USD) on Carousell. Shipping costs may vary depending on your location (Singaporeans get free shipping). Overall I still think it's fairly priced for what it is.

Verdict

As I mentioned earlier, the homebrewing community in Singapore is practically non-existent. There's only a handful of them here and I honestly wish it was a bigger scene. I admire the craft that goes into making these products and the fact that these small operations can perform way better than mass produced "salon grade" products still blows my mind till this day. I am damn proud that Ziggy Supply is moving into that direction. Singa Pomade is far superior than their old Matte Clay that they used to sell. It performs better in every aspect and it just goes to show what hard work and patience is able to pull off.

Singa Pomade is officially my favourite clay product as of now. The application process is a breeze, the scent is magnificent, styling with it is straightforward and the endurance is solid. It's really hard for me not to like it. If I really had to nitpick, I'd wish that it was just a tad bit less dry in the hair. I know, clays are supposed to be dry. I get it. But as always, dryer products have a tendency to lose control of areas like my sides and cowlick especially and I would love to see Singa Pomade be able to tame those without a problem.

I honestly believe that many people would be able to appreciate this clay product. The pomade community is always glorifying clays, so why not give this one a shot? It's definitely worth it. So give it a shot. Let this lion tame your mane.

Click here to visit Ziggy Supply on their Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment