Friday 4 August 2017

Genggam Pomade Dope! review


We're gonna wrap up reviewing the Genggam Pomade product line. We've had a look at their unorthodox water-based pomade but it's time we turn our attention to their oil-based pomade; Dope!



Packaging


Dope! comes in the ever popular 3.5 oz amber glass jar. Has a gold aluminium lid and a Lego-themed label around the jar. I much prefer the design for this over Monopomp. It's probably the bold colours, but it looks more aesthetically pleasing overall.




Scent

The pomade comes in a Sugus scent. If you don't know, Sugus is a chewy candy that comes in assorted fruit flavours which is what the scent of the product is trying to emulate. You do get a hit of a mixed fruit type of scent, but it also has this perfume-like fragrance to it. It ends up smelling like a car air freshener which I'm not in favour of. It's not a bad scent, it's just not one that I enjoy. I've also recently seen Df put up pineapple soda scented ones which I believe is the new version.




 


Application

With a small amount of pressure, you can easily get a nice waxy scoop of pomade. Breaks down with a tiny bit of elbow grease and applies into your hair with some minor tugging and pulling.



Slickness

Despite it having a drier consistency, it still combs through fairly easily. The lack of stickiness does lead to some trouble with more stubborn hairs, but it's not too bad overall.



Control

What makes Dope! so unique is that it's got clay added in the formula. That leads to a really lightweight styling experience that can lead to a good amount of volume. I've had little to no issues styling with this pomade. My hair goes where I want without much hassle.



Strength

Easily a firm hold. You get a nice lightweight yet sturdy hold with the pomade.



Shine

I'd say it's a slight notch below a medium shine.

 


Durability

Seeing how it's not only a wax-heavy oil-based pomade but it also has clay in it, it goes without saying that Dope! will hold up in the heat very well. My hair also has no problem retaining what height and volume that I styled. The lack of a sticky feel may lead to some strays throughout the day, but it won't be anything a recomb can't handle. It also handles finger-combing pretty well for those who prefer a looser look.

Washability

It'd take about 2-3 showers with shampoo to fully clean the product out of your hair. You also get a nice, clean and waxy buildup with it.

Price-point

Just like Monopomp, Dope! costs $24 SGD ($17.28 USD) including shipping to Singapore. Shipping prices may vary depending on where you are.

Verdict

With the array of amazing Malaysian pomade homebrewers there are, it's really crucial for brewers to be able to offer a product that stands out from the rest. That being said, I personally feel that Dope! does that well. Despite it being an oil-based pomade, the added clay gives it a cleaner feel, allows for easier volume and height and it has the ability to withstand the local weather. It truly is an oil-based pomade suited for hot climate.

My main gripe with the pomade of course, is with the scent. I don't care for the Sugus scent it has and as much as it doesn't give me a headache, I can easily think of five scents I'd rather have it smell like instead. It'd also be nice to see it manage strays a bit better, but that doesn't bother me as much.

All in all, it goes without saying that I think that Dope! is a great pomade. It definitely deserves more attention in the market as I do believe many people would enjoy it. It's a great option if you're looking to withstand hotter weather or if you're looking for a more versatile styling product. This pomade really is dope.

Click here to visit Genggam Pomade on their Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment