Thursday 13 October 2016

O'Douds Heavy Hold Water Based Pomade review



O'Douds is best known for pioneering the unorthodox water based pomade craze. A product that stays malleable while still being easy to wash out is mind-blowing. With my collection mostly consisting of petroleum based pomades, I figured the O'Douds limited edition Heavy Hold Water Based Pomade (aka Heavy Hammer Pomade) would be a good unorthodox water based to start with.



Packaging

The O'Douds Heavy Hammer comes in a 4 oz amber glass jar. It has a label with a paper texture around it and I think it is absolutely exquisite. The product feels really classy and is definitely well presented.




Scent

The scent is advertised as 'Blue Summer'. I have trouble pinpointing what it exactly smells like, but it reminds me of a very herbal or incense type of scent. Has a little bite to it, but it's not too strong once it goes into your hair.





Application

This being my first experience with an unorthodox water based pomade, I was really curious of how the texture would be like. Scooping out the product is really easy. It has a foamy, waxy feel to it. I was expecting to have trouble breaking down the pomade judging from reviews of their flagship water based pomade, but this stuff breaks down like nothing. No weird techniques required. You also really start to feel the grip of the product once you break it down and apply it into your hair.



Slickness

Being an all natural vegan product, you don't get a crazy amount of slickness with the product. Combing it through still faces little to no issue, but this pomade is definitely on the dry and waxy side of things.



Control

Now this is the part that really impressed me. I was able to style my hair really quick and easy. Everything goes where I want it to without any issues.



Strength

Definitely a heavy hold, without a doubt. I can easily get height and volume out of this stuff. Due to it's non-greasy nature, I can also pull off more messier hairstyles. I'd call that an added bonus.



Shine

Natural / Matte. Not much to say here.




Durability

I've sweat and walked out in the sun plenty of times while using the product, and my hair has held up through all that with ease. This being an unorthodox water based, it doesn't harden up in your hair so restyling isn't a problem. If anything falls out of place, just run a comb through it.


Washability

The pomade is water based, but it's not water soluble. You'll still need shampoo to rinse it out, but doing so will get most of the product out of your hair.


Price-point

Being a limited edition product, I had no choice but to get it from their official online store. It cost me $47.71 SGD ($35 USD) with shipping. Definitely kicked my wallet in the nuts and left it crying in the rain.


Verdict

My experience with the O'Douds Heavy Hammer Pomade has definitely testified all the amazing reviews that I've heard about the brand and brewers itself. This product is definitely a new go-to for me when I'm looking to style my hair really quickly or to get a more messier natural looking hairdo. While this may be an expensive product, the fact that it's made from all natural and vegan ingredients definitely justifies the price tag. My only gripe with the pomade is how the scent gets throughout the day. It starts to smell a little more sour as the day proceeds, but it gets fairly soft to where you barely notice the scent at all. I may not be able to recommend you to buy this with it being sold out as of this moment, but you should definitely check out all the other products in the O'Douds line.

Click here to visit O'Douds on their online store

No comments:

Post a Comment