Saturday 25 November 2017

Chimera Craft Creamy Ghost review


If you recall, several reviews ago we had a look at a brew by Afiq Nazhan. Since then, he had finally launched his own brand called Chimera Craft. He was kind enough to send me one of his pomades to review. Today we have Creamy Ghost; an unorthodox water-based pomade featuring a firm hold. Sounds fairly straightforward, but let's just have a closer look at the product.



Packaging


Creamy Ghost comes in the standard 3.5oz amber glass jar with a black lid. Has a striking blue label across the jar with Pacman's ghost on it, some pixelated stats on the side as well as ingredients on the other. Lid also features more pixelated art that's printed on a clear sticker. The overall design looks fairly simple and pleasant, though many have accused it of looking too much like the old Nostalgic Hand Made labels. I personally just feel the similarities only lie within the Pacman theme and not with the overall design, but I'm not gonna dive deep into this topic.




Scent

Creamy Ghost comes in two scent options; blood orchid and ginger lily, which is what I was sent. The ginger lily scent comprises of ginger lily, sandalwood, spearmint, mulberry and orange. Many have assumed it to smell like ginger, but it is very far from it as ginger lily is a type of flower (if my sources are correct). The scent has a sweet and floral smell, smelling almost like artificial fruit candy. I'm not opposed to it, but I wouldn't mind a different scent either. It is a fairly strong scent, especially during the first few hours after application. Definitely noticeable, but it does fade away after a while.




 


Application

As the name suggests, the pomade scoops out absolutely creamy. Even creamier than most medium holding UWB pomades. Really soft to the touch and comes out with minimal effort. Breaks down just the same while going into your hair with minimal tugging and pulling. An absolutely pleasant application process.



Slickness

As it is a creamy water-based pomade, it combs through effortlessly. Has a decent amount of slickness to keep your hair in check and not lose control of strays.




Control

Despite the creamy application, it feels firm in the hair. I find that really helps with styling as it truly gives you a good amount of hold to style with. My hair goes where I want it to and has no issue staying there. It doesn't feel incredibly lightweight and has a good amount of density to it which I really like.



Strength

Truly a firm hold. Provides enough hold to give you good height  but still has flexibility to make way for nice shape. As mentioned earlier, it has some density to it and it really helps to uphold the hairstyle through the day.



Shine

I'd say it gives a low to matte shine. Has a nice natural lustre to it.

 


Durability

Being an UWB pomade with a good amount of hold, it's no surprise that it holds up just fine in hot weather. I've put it through the most rigorous of work days and it required little to no touch ups. It takes a beating like a champ. Even if a restyle is needed, it's able to do so very easily. You don't lose any hold from it although it does feel slightly more dry to the touch as the day progresses.

Washability

Just like most heavier holding UWB pomades, about 1-2 showers with shampoo should cleanse your hair from all the product.

Price-point

If purchased directly through their Etsy store, it costs $26.50 SGD ($19.60 USD) including shipping. Shipping costs will vary depending on your location of course, but not a bad price at all.

Verdict

I personally feel that Chimera Craft is a brand with a lot of potential. Afiq Nazhan is a great brewer and person and he has the talent for the craft. Especially after trying This Label Is Too Damn Simple, I had high hopes going into this pomade.

Creamy Ghost doesn't face one of the main issues I have with heavier holding UWB pomades, and that is with the application. As mentioned, this stuff truly is creamy to the touch. Breaks down with absolute ease and applies just the same. What amazes me is the fact that it can still provide a truly good, firm hold beyond the smooth application. The endurance is definitely good enough for me as well and it's relatively easy to wash out. One of my gripes about the product is that it gets rather dry and loses most of it's slickness. My second issue, is about the scent. Although not a bad scent, it's not something I'd like to smell like. Especially seeing how it does start off as a pretty strong scent, it does turn me off quite a bit.

Overall, I think that Creamy Ghost is not only a great UWB pomade, but is also one of my favourite formulas for one. I'm still not over the fact that something that applies effortlessly can still give a firm hold and last throughout the day. I'm highly impressed by it and I trust that many others would feel the same. Go get yourself a jar of Creamy Ghost. This is one ghost worth hunting for.

Click here to visit Chimera Craft on their Etsy page

No comments:

Post a Comment